Lysaker Gymnasium is one of the premier basketball and volleyball venues in the Northern Red River Valley. It is the home of University of Minnesota Crookston men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball and has been since 1981. It contains three full-sized courts and can seat 3,000 for basketball and volleyball. The facility is one of Northwest Minnesota's largest sports venues and regularly houses section basketball tournaments during the calendar year. It was named in honor for former UMC athletic director Herschel "Hersch" Lysaker, who was athletic director from 1966-78.
Lysaker received the UMC Torch and Shield Service Award in 1975 for his outstanding contribution to the college community. In 1977 he was inducted into the Minnesota Football Hall of Fame. Lysaker began his work for the campus in 1944, when he joined the staff of the NWSA as athletic director and home projects supervisor. He spent a total of 44 years in education, including his previous service at high schools in Adams, N.D., Northwood, N.D., Warren, Minn., and Crookston, Minn.